Growing poverty across the Tasman

Written By: - Date published: 9:27 am, October 26th, 2007 - 6 comments
Categories: International - Tags:

The Australian Council of Social Services has highlighted an update on the numbers living in poverty.

New figures released by Australia Fair show that the number of Australians in poverty increased from 9.8% to 11.1% of the population between 2003-04 and 2005-06. This is based on the standard measure used extensively in OECD countries, 50% of median income.

The Prime Minister’s announcement of assistance for pensioners with their utilities bills is welcomed, but should extend to around 1 million sole parents, unemployed Australians and people with disabilities on NewStart Allowance.

In addition, we’re looking for a national plan with targets to assist the more than 1 in 10 Australians living in poverty which would include investment in dental care, affordable housing, education and training, and lifting the living conditions for Indigenous people.

Read the Australia Fair update here.

Given recent coverage of tax cuts in NZ and the desire of New Zealanders not to lose social services we should pay attention.

John Key said just yesterday that “a programme of personal tax cuts, starting with our first budget, and they’ll be progressively rolled out. Very similar to Australia. Australia started this programme five years ago, they’ve cut them every single year and it’s made a huge difference over in Australia.” (Sunrise, TV3, 24 Oct 2007).

So who’s been benefiting from those tax cuts then?

Meanwhile the social report here shows that gaps between rich and poor New Zealanders have finally started to close. So I’d say we’ve had our priorities about right. And now the question can be asked & what’s next?

6 comments on “Growing poverty across the Tasman”

  1. Daveo 1

    But… tax cuts… ?

  2. Sam Dixon 2

    Finally, a poll taken National policy releases that isn’t Colmar Brunton..http://www.stuff.co.nz/4251544a10.html , http://www.roymorgan.com/news/polls/2007/4232/ interesting reading

  3. dancer 3

    well i guess it’s the usual story from tax cuts. those who earn more, benefit more. i’ve seen some figures that estimate someone on $AU45,000 has received $1,750 in tax cuts. someone on $AU200,000 has received $11,780. (That’s from 2002 to now). so if you want to reduce inquality you need more tools in your box of tricks than that.

  4. ak 4

    Ah yes, the Morgan poll. Isn’t that the one that Farrar recently called the most consistent, reliable, fair, etc? And of course he’s the expert – wonder why he hasn’t commented on the latest result? Bit like Australian politics and the Iraq war I suppose – not newsworthy enough.

  5. Robert Owen 5

    General election 2005 Lab 41.1 % Green 5.3% Total 46.4%
    Latest Poll Lab 39.0% Green 7.5% Total 46.5%

    So the left has increased their share of the vote since the Election

    I expect to see that as the Banner headline in the Dom

  6. Murray M 6

    The people benefiting from tax cuts are the people pay the tax in the first place, stands to reason doesn’t it?

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

  • New digital service to make business easy
    A new digital platform aims to make it easier for small businesses to access services from multiple government agencies, leaving them more time to focus on their own priorities. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Minister for Small Business Stuart Nash ...
    5 hours ago
  • Million-dollar start to gun collection events
    Million-dollar start to gun collection events  Police Minister Stuart Nash says a solid start has been made to the gun buyback and amnesty after the first weekend of community collection events. “Gun owners will walk away with more than ...
    1 day ago
  • Praise after first firearms collection event
    Police Minister Stuart Nash has praised Police and gun owners after the first firearms collection event saw a busy turnout at Riccarton Racecourse in Christchurch. “Police officers and staff have put a tremendous effort into planning and logistics for the ...
    1 day ago
  • New Police constables deployed to regions
    Seventy-eight new Police constables are heading out to the regions following today’s graduation of a new recruit wing from the Royal New Zealand Police College. Police Minister Stuart Nash says the record high number of new Police officers being recruited, ...
    1 week ago