Yesterday, on More FM of all places, John Key casually mentioned that there are Al Qaeda-linked Kiwis in the country and in Yemen. If that’s true, it raises several questions:
1) why haven’t they been arrested? Being a member of or providing aid to a terrorist organisation is illegal
2) why do you need additional spy powers, if you already have these people
3) why is the PM breaching security and jeopardising the spying on these people?
4) given that Prime Ministers routinely refuse to discuss intelligence and security matters, isn’t casually informing any Al Qaeda members in New Zealand that the spooks are on to them an extraordinarily stupid thing to do for the sake of scoring a political point against the Greens?
5) is one (if there are more than one) of these people Mark Taylor, a terrorist-linked guy whom Key has previously said is no threat
6) are any of these people among the 88 that the GCSB illegally spied upon – and doesn’t that mean the vast majority are not terrorist-linked?
7) is Key just making it up or exaggerating to suit his political ends?