A person has carried out an attack on Parliament in London. Guardian:
Here is what the Guardian has been able to confirm so far:
• Four people have died, including a police officer and one man believed to be the attacker, police said.
• At least 20 other people were injured in the attack, some with “catastrophic” wounds.
• The alleged assailant drove a car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before crashing it and then trying to enter the complex, armed with a knife.
• He was shot by armed police inside the security cordon of the Houses of Parliament.
• Police currently believe there was only one attacker, but have locked down the area around Westminster and are searching the area.
Britain’s Channel 4 News has backtracked on a report naming a known “hate-preacher” as the man behind an attack on parliament in London.
Channel 4 claimed Abu Izzadeen, also known as Trevor Brooks, from Hackney in London, was the suspect. The news was quickly also reported by mainstream newspapers including the Independent and the Daily Mirror.
But claims soon followed that the man is in fact currently serving time in jail.
Izzadeen’s solicitor was quoted by US channel ABC as saying his client was still in jail and could not have been the attacker.