I was pulling out the stats for 2009 so I could update Tumeke blog rankings about who authors on this site so Tim could update the names under our site name. Rather than just send it to him, I thought I’d post it here and send him a link đ
Because I wanted to understand the shift in the dynamic amongst authors, I included the post figures for the same authors from election year 2008.
So more posts and by more people than in the election year, all with differing viewpoints of the left. People dropping in and out of authoring posts. Nearly two hundred Guest Posts 1, andÂ hundreds of notices or reflection posts from other sites published as The Standard 2.
Apart from having to put up with a incompetent NACT government, it has been a good year for The Standard 3. We’re becoming the coop of left-leaning bloggers that was originally envisaged. Putting our various spins on the issues of the day, decade, and generations. We do this all with few resources apart from the awesome talents and dedication of the authors 5.
I’ll have a separate look at the comment stats sometime shortly so I can laud those who keep making our authors get that little bit better all of the time.
- If you want to do a guest post on a topic that is close to your heart. Just send it to The Standards email address in Contact Us.
As a guideline, ideally get them under 400 words (and use links rather than explaining everything), and if you can’t say it in less than 800 words then break it up into several posts. But long long posts tend to indicate that you haven’t quite figured out how to make your point.
We won’t edit your content apart from egregious spelling mistakes and formatting to get on the page. But we also won’t put everything up, and it may have to wait for a break in the schedule (or a weekend).
- If you want a notice up about a meeting or event that will be of interest to the left, then send it to Contact us. Ideally don’t send it on the day that the event is meant to happen. We all work (even rocky does), and
- What was particularly hilarious in 2009 was listening to the deafening silence from those illiterates 4 at the Sewer and other right blogs who in 2008 were confidently predicting that The Standard would cease post election when Helen left the 9th floor of the Beehive.
- They must be illiterate. Clearly incapable of reading our simple About that has stated who and what we are since 2007. If they’re incapable of understanding that and they aren’t illiterate, then I fear they have a shallow grasp of reality.
- When I was budgeting over Xmas, I figured out the actual running costs of the site for 2009. It came out at $720. However half of that has been paid by a large number of small contributions of $20-$50 using the PayPal donate button in the left sidebar that I added late in the year. Thanks a lot to all of those anonymous donors. You’re allowing me to run the site without getting Lyn too disturbed about the costs 6.
- But like all bloggers with partners, Lyn sometimes gets annoyed with the time I spend on the site. Fortunately the large amounts of time she spends on her documentary shields me from most recrimination… She is off to Tahiti at the weekend to do the a premiere at the film festival there for Polynesia. I’ll add a link when they finalize the new website.
- As always, you can thank Terry Prachett for the idea of adding footnotes to expand, explain and enhance the editorial text.