John Key’s try-hard failed handshake at the RWC has gone viral. What looked like a minor footnote to the affair came out last night, when it was reported that YouTube had taken down the clip at the request of the IRB. Not really worth a post. But today, events have taken a strange new turn:
Key’s botched handshake clip taken off YouTube
YouTube has mysteriously taken down a popular video clip of Prime Minister John Key’s awkward three-way handshake with victorious All Black captain Richie McCaw and International Rugby Board chairman Bernard Lapasset.
The clip … had been viewed more than 20,000 times by Tuesday morning. But it was no longer available early yesterday, with a message saying: “This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by International Rugby Board.”
But IRB spokesman Dominic Rumbles said the clip had not been taken down at the IRB’s request. … “There would be no reason for us to ask for it to be taken down.” …
Mr Key yesterday said he was surprised the clip had been removed. “They should leave it up there as far as I’m concerned, I’m not bothered by it.”
Is someone lying here? YouTube says it was an IRB request, the IRB says no. (Shades of Key making claims about the S&P downgrade, S&P said no). Does the IRB left hand not know what its right hand is doing, or did someone contact YouTube impersonating the IRB? Curious.