I posted this post a week ago to highlight what a shambles National’s culture review had developed into. Things have got worse.
Simon Bridges gave a train wreck of an interview this morning on Radio New Zealand’s morning report.
Listen to it to marvel how bad it was.
If you can imagine a scene written jointly by Monty Python and Franz Kafka you will get a feeling of what the interview was like.
Some of the details:
- National has a strong and positive culture.
- The “health and safety review” into National’s culture has been completed.
- Simon Bridges did not want to say who did the review although it has been done by a health and safety expert. Odd choice of expertise. It suggests that things must be pretty toxic.
- Simon Bridges has not read the report.
- He is waiting for the Parliament review to be completed. At that stage a “summary” of the review will be released.
- Female MPs were entitled to go forward and be interviewed for the review but he does not think that female MPs necessarily availed themselves of the opportunity to do so. This jars with claims by MPs that they had not been invited to take part in the review.
- The main points of the review will be there for everyone to see. But clearly not the review itself.
I suspect the reason why the report has not even been shared with MPs and its contents kept so secret is that Bridges and the party are very concerned that the whole report or embarrassing parts of it will then leak. National has an epidemic of leaking right now.
I almost feel sorry for Bridges.
Update: Just posted on twitter and too good to ignore: