- Date published:
6:51 am, July 5th, 2008 - 122 comments
Categories: greens, labour, progressives, Social issues, workers' rights -
It is time for the Left to take back the language of freedom. At its heart freedom, power for the ordinary person, is what the Left is about.
- – Freedom from unemployment,
- – Freedom from crappy wages that mean you have to work 60 hours a week to make ends meet,
- – Freedom from having to bow to the boss’s demands and risking your job if you demand fair treatment,
- – Freedom from big businesses being allowed to pollute our water, our land, our air,
- – Freedom from the fear that getting sick will mean you lose your income and need to borrow to pay for treatment,
- – Freedom from having your opportunities determined by the education your parents can afford to buy,
- – Freedom from the social pressures that see the fate of those at the bottom of the heap repeated by their children.
- – Freedom from having our schools, our hospitals, our public assets owned by foreign banks who only want to make a profit out of us.
That’s real freedom; that’s what the Left stands for. Politicians of the Left should be proud to say it.