web analytics

Pike River anniversary: what have we become?

Written By: - Date published: 10:08 am, November 19th, 2016 - 17 comments
Categories: disaster, health and safety - Tags: ,

Posted on the #StandWithPike page this morning:

Six years ago this morning, 31 men went to work in a coal mine.

29 of them still lay there.

Since Daniel and Russell stumbled alone, unhelped, out of the drift that afternoon, no-one has ever gone back up… not to attempt a rescue, not to investigate the crime scene, not to bring the dead men home.

Doug White and Peter Whittall, the men responsible for this worksite that just killed nearly its entire workforce, were effectively given control of the rescue. They insisted none be attempted, then after all reasonable hope was gone insisted the mine not be sealed, causing an inevitable series of massive explosions and fires.

Peter Whittall was allowed to opt out of testifying to the Royal Commission because he might incriminate himself.

When he was finally charged with 29 counts of manslaughter, Worksafe did a secret deal with his insurance company the night before Court, allowing him to buy his way out of these severe criminal charges for $100k per head. He was immediately allowed to leave the country a free man.

To this day no-one has been held accountable. No-one has served a day in jail. No attempt has been made to recover the men. The closest anyone has come to arrest was mother Sonya Rockhouse and widow Anna Osborne, threatened with it last week by Minister Nick Smith for desperately trying to stop “the coffin lid being slammed shut” on their men.

The world’s foremost expert on mine ventilation says the drift can be safely re-entered and searched. New Zealand’s former Chief Mines Inspector says it can be done and he’d be “honoured” to lead the mission. John Key says “his advice” says it’s too dangerous to be considered.

On Monday next week, Solid Energy intend to mark the anniversary by beginning to unload over one hundred truckloads of concrete into the mine’s only entrance, creating a twenty metre thick, solid floor-to-ceiling wall, blocking it forever.

The families want justice, they want the truth, and they want their men home, out of the crime scene that killed them.

New Zealand, what have we become when any of this is too much for them to ask of us?

17 comments on “Pike River anniversary: what have we become? ”

  1. Incognito 1

    John Key, Dr Nick Smith, and Solid Energy want to seal the (only) entrance to the mine not because it is too dangerous to enter but because they fear what might ‘exit’.

    It is literally burying the evidence of what really happened and John Key ought to put “his advice” out, with name & credentials. My guess is that he won’t because he has got none professional “advice” whatsoever to back up his stand. Why is John Key not open & transparent about this? Why does he not keep his promise?

    Despicable actions by some weak men.

    • mary_a 1.1

      100% agree Incognito (1)

    • Rae 1.2

      100% and I think that is what we should focus on. I believe it should remain able to be accessed, even if it means a fairly large no go without a permit area around it. At some point we would have the technology (if we don’t have it now) to examine the drift at the very least. I do believe those families have the right to the truth and if we can’t deliver them that, then we must demonstrate that EVERYTHING possible has been done to discover it. We have not done that.
      I am adamant about this and will never sway from it. I am now going to consider the actions being taken as a bloody big cover up. Government, prove me wrong!

    • Leftie 1.3

      John key is a habitual, compulsive liar.

    • infused 1.4

      you arm chair experts are a laugh.

  2. Xanthe 2

    Two things must not be overlooked

    1 Pike river mine was the crown jewel in a Labour governments neoconservative agenda. They pushed it through and they dismantled the govt oversight of health and safety. Pike river is Labour govts shamefull legacy.
    2 Everyone involved seems to have bought the line that only a drift exploration is possible. Thats crap! the mine itself must be examined and it is IMHO quite possible to do so.

    • Leftie 2.1

      Seriously Xanthe, you are blaming Labour for the National government’s failures and lies?

      Does not wash.

      • Xanthe 2.1.1

        No Leftie i am not ! I agree National has let us all down in its response to the disaster.
        The point i feel should not be forgotton is that Pike River mine was the Labour government’s poster child for the brave new deregulated market forces way of doing things. It was a Labour government that set that disaster in waiting up! National inherited it (and then did nothing to mitigate )

  3. Olwyn 3

    I am utterly horrified whenever I read of this. It is as if the only things ready when this awful tragedy happened were a PR initiative and a few mechanisms for avoiding accountability – with saving the workers’ lives or ensuring that it never happens again not even on the list. And it seems we have nothing, nothing at our disposal that will allow for an honest look at how it happened and a genuine show of respect to those who have suffered so badly, and for so long. The Key government should be getting a real hammering for this from all quarters, given its acquiescence in the conditions that led to the tragedy, and the years of hollow promises and letdowns to which it has since subjected these grieving people.

  4. Cinny 4

    #StandWithPike

    Much love to all involved, thinking of you all today. Brave souls, kia kaha

  5. mary_a 5

    Thoughts with all those closely involved in the Pike River tragedy.

    Kia Kaha.

  6. doc 6

    john key’s advisers are lawyers say no more…..

  7. DH 7

    I’ve been trying to figure out what the Govt is so afraid of. The explosions and fires would have destroyed most if not all of the evidence of the cause(s) of the disaster so they can’t be concerned about that. Something has the wind up them though… what?

    I keep coming back to the self rescue kits (SCSRs). IIRC both survivors said they found their SCSRs to be useless* and that leads to an assumption that any others surviving the explosion may also have found the rescue kits a failure.

    That is an area where proof and evidence will still exist; any body discovered with an opened self-rescue kit could likely suggest a failure of the equipment that should have saved them. The ramifications of that could be wide ranging.

    I’d have thought it imperative to discover if anyone else did deploy their SCSRs and efforts made to ascertain why they didn’t work if that proves to be the case. It could save lives in the future.

    * Daniel Rockhouse reported that it didn’t provide him with enough oxygen so he discarded it. (They wouldn’t be easy to use in that kind of environment, I’m a diver and I’m not sure I could use one either.)

  8. mosa 8

    Pike River “what have we become”

    NZ is no different in dealing with disaster now then we were in 1979 with Erebus that resulted in a terrible loss of life and no one ever being held accountable for that terrible accident and subsequent attempted cover up.

    Laying the blame at an innocent pilot for such a terrible loss of life and the effect that had on his family for over 30 years just to protect the government and Air New Zealand under another National PM the right honorable Sir Robert Muldoon.

    The difference was that the royal commision of inquiry of the great Justice Mahon was able to expose the cover up and lies told under oath and an examination of the crash site , a process denied the Pike River families.

  9. JC 9

    What Prime Minister John Key told the Pike River families and did not do…

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbL3wNHjZQo

    and

    Sadly few, if any…, of Mahon’s integrity left.

    “The palpably false sections of evidence which I heard could not have been the result of mistake, or faulty recollection. They originated, I am compelled to say, in a pre-determined plan of deception. They were very clearly part of an attempt to conceal a series of disastrous administrative blunders and so… I am forced reluctantly to say that I had to listen to an orchestrated litany of lies.”

    http://www.erebus.co.nz/investigation/mahonreport.aspx

  10. greg 10

    cave creek was another cover up people die every time national are in power god look at the suicide rate national are a disaster for the nation

Recent Comments

Recent Posts

  • Celebrating the Entry Into Force of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
    [Opening comments, welcome and thank you to Auckland University etc] It is a great pleasure to be here this afternoon to celebrate such an historic occasion - the entry into force of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. This is a moment many feared would never come, but ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    2 hours ago
  • Supporting disabled people to stay connected
    The Government is providing $3 million in one-off seed funding to help disabled people around New Zealand stay connected and access support in their communities, Minister for Disability Issues, Carmel Sepuloni announced today. The funding will allow disability service providers to develop digital and community-based solutions over the next two ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    6 hours ago
  • Voluntary saliva testing offered to quarantine workers from Monday
    Border workers in quarantine facilities will be offered voluntary daily COVID-19 saliva tests in addition to their regular weekly testing, COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said today. This additional option will be rolled out at the Jet Park Quarantine facility in Auckland starting on Monday 25 January, and then to ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    9 hours ago
  • Next steps in firearms buy-back
    The next steps in the Government’s ambitious firearms reform programme to include a three-month buy-back have been announced by Police Minister Poto Williams today.  “The last buy-back and amnesty was unprecedented for New Zealand and was successful in collecting 60,297 firearms, modifying a further 5,630 firearms, and collecting 299,837 prohibited ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    10 hours ago
  • New Public Housing Plan announced
    The Government has released its Public Housing Plan 2021-2024 which outlines the intention of where 8,000 additional public and transitional housing places announced in Budget 2020, will go. “The Government is committed to continuing its public house build programme at pace and scale. The extra 8,000 homes – 6000 public ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 day ago
  • Prime Minister congratulates President Joe Biden on his inauguration
    Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has congratulated President Joe Biden on his inauguration as the 46th President of the United States of America. “I look forward to building a close relationship with President Biden and working with him on issues that matter to both our countries,” Jacinda Ardern said. “New Zealand ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    2 days ago
  • Jobs for Nature funding will create training and employment opportunities
    A major investment to tackle wilding pines in Mt Richmond will create jobs and help protect the area’s unique ecosystems, Biosecurity Minister Damien O’Connor says. The Mt Richmond Forest Park has unique ecosystems developed on mineral-rich geology, including taonga plant species found nowhere else in the country. “These special plant ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    3 days ago
  • Pre-departure testing extended to all passengers to New Zealand
    To further protect New Zealand from COVID-19, the Government is extending pre-departure testing to all passengers to New Zealand except from Australia, Antarctica and most Pacific Islands, COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said today. “The change will come into force for all flights arriving in New Zealand after 11:59pm (NZT) on Monday ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    3 days ago
  • Bay Cadets learn skills to protect environment
    Bay Conservation Cadets launched with first intake Supported with $3.5 million grant Part of $1.245b Jobs for Nature programme to accelerate recover from Covid Cadets will learn skills to protect and enhance environment Environment Minister David Parker today welcomed the first intake of cadets at the launch of the Bay ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    4 days ago
  • Cook Islanders to resume travel to New Zealand
    The Prime Minister of New Zealand Jacinda Ardern and the Prime Minister of the Cook Islands Mark Brown have announced passengers from the Cook Islands can resume quarantine-free travel into New Zealand from 21 January, enabling access to essential services such as health. “Following confirmation of the Cook Islands’ COVID ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 week ago
  • Supporting communities and landowners to grow employment opportunities
    Jobs for Nature funding is being made available to conservation groups and landowners to employ staff and contractors in a move aimed at boosting local biodiversity-focused projects, Conservation Minister Kiritapu Allan has announced. It is estimated some 400-plus jobs will be created with employment opportunities in ecology, restoration, trapping, ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 week ago
  • Border exception for some returning international tertiary students
    The Government has approved an exception class for 1000 international tertiary students, degree level and above, who began their study in New Zealand but were caught offshore when border restrictions began. The exception will allow students to return to New Zealand in stages from April 2021. “Our top priority continues ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 week ago
  • Tiwai deal gives time for managed transition
    Today’s deal between Meridian and Rio Tinto for the Tiwai smelter to remain open another four years provides time for a managed transition for Southland. “The deal provides welcome certainty to the Southland community by protecting jobs and incomes as the region plans for the future. The Government is committed ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 week ago
  • New member for APEC Business Advisory Council
    Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has appointed Anna Curzon to the APEC Business Advisory Council (ABAC). The leader of each APEC economy appoints three private sector representatives to ABAC. ABAC provides advice to leaders annually on business priorities. “ABAC helps ensure that APEC’s work programme is informed by business community perspectives ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 week ago
  • Govt’s careful economic management recognised
    The Government’s prudent fiscal management and strong policy programme in the face of the COVID-19 global pandemic have been acknowledged by the credit rating agency Fitch. Fitch has today affirmed New Zealand’s local currency rating at AA+ with a stable outlook and foreign currency rating at AA with a positive ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 week ago
  • Additional actions to keep COVID-19 out of NZ
    The Government is putting in place a suite of additional actions to protect New Zealand from COVID-19, including new emerging variants, COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said today. “Given the high rates of infection in many countries and evidence of the global spread of more transmissible variants, it’s clear that ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    1 week ago
  • 19 projects will clean up and protect waterways
    $36 million of Government funding alongside councils and others for 19 projects Investment will clean up and protect waterways and create local jobs Boots on the ground expected in Q2 of 2021 Funding part of the Jobs for Nature policy package A package of 19 projects will help clean up ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    2 weeks ago
  • New Zealand Government acknowledges 175th anniversary of Battle of Ruapekapeka
    The commemoration of the 175th anniversary of the Battle of Ruapekapeka represents an opportunity for all New Zealanders to reflect on the role these conflicts have had in creating our modern nation, says Associate Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage Kiri Allan. “The Battle at Te Ruapekapeka Pā, which took ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    2 weeks ago
  • Better care for babies with tongue-tie
    Babies born with tongue-tie will be assessed and treated consistently under new guidelines released by the Ministry of Health, Associate Minister of Health Dr Ayesha Verrall announced today. Around 5% to 10% of babies are born with a tongue-tie, or ankyloglossia, in New Zealand each year. At least half can ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    3 weeks ago
  • Prisoner disorder event at Waikeria Prison over
    The prisoner disorder event at Waikeria Prison is over, with all remaining prisoners now safely and securely detained, Corrections Minister Kelvin Davis says. The majority of those involved in the event are members of the Mongols and Comancheros. Five of the men are deportees from Australia, with three subject to ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    3 weeks ago
  • Pre-departure COVID-19 test for travellers from the UK and the US from 15 January
    Travellers from the United Kingdom or the United States bound for New Zealand will be required to get a negative test result for COVID-19 before departing, and work is underway to extend the requirement to other long haul flights to New Zealand, COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins confirmed today. “The new PCR test requirement, foreshadowed last ...
    BeehiveBy beehive.govt.nz
    3 weeks ago