Polity: Maori Party / Key fundraiser
Written By: - Date published: 9:00 am, April 15th, 2014 - 34 comments
Categories: john key, maori party, national - Tags: polity, Tariana Turia, te ururoa flavell
Rob Salmond did his original post here.
The Political Anorak News is full of the $5,000-a-plate fundraiser for the Maori Party hosted by John Key at the Northern Club in Auckland. A few thoughts:
- Nothing illegal about this at all, or really anything immoral either. Key wants to help the Maori Party help Key, so he’s putting in an appearance. No problem.
- From the attempts to have the fundraiser fly under everyone’s radar, however, it seems that both the Maori Party and Key would have rather kept their fundraising link hush hush, which isn’t the best look for transparency.
- These kinds of events make it crystal clear that a vote for the Maori Party is a vote for a National government.
- I expect this confirmation will do Te Ururoa Flavell no favours in Waiariki, especially with a better funded Annette Sykes campaign breathing down his neck.
- Tariana Turia will be gobsmacked at how far her party has fallen. From principled objectors to the Foreshore and Seabed Act to literally begging at the National Party’s bowl in nine short years. Ouch.