Here is Key making the throat-cutting gesture to Labour after a man tried to jump into the Debating Chamber. He displays a total lack of concern for the man and anyone else.
Here’s how the video plays out:
It opens just as the man is being pulled back up.
- You can see Su’a William Sio, who was directly beneath the man, walking to stand beside Hone Harawira in the foreground and turn up to watch the man being led out.
- The Labour frontbench sits down. John Key and Gerry Brownlee have been sitting this whole time
- Key to Labour: “you should be ashamed of yourselves”.
- King: “What! What? we should be ashamed of ourselves?!”.
- Speaker calls for order as Key seems to say something more, you can see the Speaker repeatedly look his way while trying to get order, and the camera cuts to Key as it does when an interjection is heard, although I can’t work out what he’s said
- Key slowly and deliberately makes the throat-slashing gesture at Labour. He extends his right index finger, and draws it back across his throat while jerking his head backwards. This is seconds after a man has attempted to seriously harm himself in front of Key’s eyes, remember.
- King, Chadwick, “you scumbag”.
King has not backed down from what she said, and why should she? It is a completely fitting description of his behaviour. Everyone else is shaken up. Worried about the man. Worried about their colleagues. Key is only thinking of himself and how he can blame something bad on Labour – just like he always does.