The man National credits with coming up with the idea of national standards has warned the incompetence of Education Minister Anne Tolley could make it a disaster and Tolley agrees.
John Hattie told the Sunday Star Times national standards:
- Could be the most disastrous education policy ever formulated.
- Will only barely raise student achievement, if at all.
- Could “pervert the nature of teaching” by pitting schools and teachers against one another.
- the standards themselves the targets students will be measured against are “untested and experimental” and need to be drawn up based on evidence, not committees
- “My terror is that if we go down the wrong pathway, it will fail”
In response, Tolley said “We both acknowledge that this is a momentous moment in time, if you like, and that it can go either way.”
Well, that’s reassuring.