Trump meets Putin
Written By: - Date published: 9:03 am, July 16th, 2018 - 116 comments
Categories: afghanistan, China, colonialism, defence, Donald Trump, Europe, Globalisation, immigration, International, Iran, iraq, Korea, Palestine, Russia, Syria, us politics - Tags:
Things that President Trump won’t do as when meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin in Helsinki:
- Demand that Russia withdraw from Ukraine and renounce its illegal claim to Crimea. President Truman did similar, successfully.
- Actually push for stronger human rights across the world, as President Ford did successfully with Russia and many other countries – in Helsinki.
- Push Russia to stop supporting the Taliban in Afghanistan. The previous U.S. Defence Secretary Jim Mattis had the guts to do so. No sign of the President pushing this now.
- Halt provocative military actions on NATO’s periphery and harassment of United States personnel in Moscow. Many U.S. Presidents have done this successfully, none more boldly than Truman throughout the Berlin airlift and its consequences.
And President Obama was also quite happy to stand and defend.
- Limit nuclear and ballistic arms through binding treaty. President Nixon did sterling work here with Khruschev.
And indeed with Brezhnev.
- Gain full cooperation to pressure Kim Jong-Un to denuclearise completely. Since Obama could successfully negotiate with Russia to denuclearise Iran, there must be something useful Trump can do.
… or face actual consequences. Because that is the kind of real agenda that U.S. Presidents have delivered for quite some time, with significant and positive results.
Instead, we will get another grip-and-grin.