Choices, choices: Farrar seeks parental leave funding
- Date published:
7:27 am, April 13th, 2012 - 42 comments
Categories: babies, child welfare, families, same old national, scoundrels -
Tags: paid parental leave
Last week, David Farrar demanded to know where the government is getting $62m for youth mental health services… Actually he didn’t (they’re stealing it from other health funding) but he is demanding Labour explains where it would get $125m a year for extending paid parental leave. I guess he just really wants to make sure it’s feasible. Lets help him out with some options.
- Cancel the highways to nowhere – $1.4b a year
- No more finance sector bailouts – $335m a year average under National
- Reverse the tax cuts to the top 1% – $600m a year
- Cancel irrigation subsidies to farmers – $400m
- Don’t extend carbon pollution subsidies for farmers – $650m a year
- Don’t sale assets, necessitating broker and banker fees – $100m+
- Borrow 1% more than will be borrowed this year
- Use some of the new operating spending allowance. Not every budget will be a ‘zero budget’. From 2014, the pool of money for new spending will $1.19b a year plus 2% pa.
There’s plenty of money. It’s just a matter of what you want to spend it on.