63% to 17%. That’s not a defeat. That’s a slaughter. An utter humiliation for the Tories.
How will the Tories and their fanboys (Armstrong, Ralston, Laws, Farrar etc) spin it?
- It was Lee’s fault for the gaffes.
- It was Worth’s fault for the past fortnight.
- Mt Albert people are dole-bludging darkies (see Kiwiblog threads)
- The turn-out was low, so it doesn’t count.
- It’s Labour’s fault for trying to hard to win.
- It’s the media’s fault.
- It doesn’t even matter.
The one thing it can’t be is Key’s fault. He’s the only asset National has. He’s the one person who needs to be protected above all.
- Don’t mention that it was his policies that Mt Albert voted against.
- Don’t vote mention that Key chose Lee personally.
- Don’t mention that the Tories poured huge resources into winning.
- Don’t mention that Key seriously expected to win until it went sour.
The spin won’t work. Even the best spin doctor can’t repair some injuries.