National/ACT would would implement several major policies:
– it would weaken work rights. You could be fired without justification in the first 90 days of a new job if your employer employs fewer than 20 people.
– wages for low wage workers would fall. National would not increase the minimum wage and it would weaken the ability of these workers to strengthen their bargaining position by organising as unions.
– it would privatise ACC. Your accident compensation would depend on a private company paying out. Hope it doesn’t collapse, as insurance companies regularly do.
– it would cut Kiwisaver in half. Rather than getting matching contributions of 4% from your employer you would only get 2%.
– it would cut taxes for the wealthy. If your income is below $24,000, or $44,000 if you have a family, your tax cut would be smaller under National than Labour. If your income is below $80,000 National would give you at most $14 a week more in tax cuts than Labour. If your income is $300,000 you would get $90 a week more from National, on $500,000 you would get $165 more, and so on.
– it would weaken environmental protections in the Resource Management Act and the Emissions Trading Act.
– There would be toll roads charging up to $50 a week, paying for private owners’ profits. Schools and prisons would also be privately owned.
– A National/ACT Government’s instinct would be to cut public services, privatise, sell assets, and join in US-led wars.