- Date published:
7:38 am, June 21st, 2017 - 160 comments
Categories: Abuse of power, accountability, bill english, useless - Tags: clutha-southland, coverup, lies, stinks to high heaven, Todd Barclay
Much has been written about the Barclay affair –
Two bad decisions, one awful day for National (devastating)
Bill English’s worst day as PM (politics of Bill’s “memory lapse” – completely devastating)
It’s not the crime, it’s the coverup (legal view)
Audrey Young: MP and recording debacle becomes credibility matter for PM (well said)
Bill English had answers, but four hours too late (Tracy it’s not a ‘dodgy memory card’ it’s a lie)
Patrick Gower: National owes the taxpayer for Todd Barclay’s hush money (good luck with that)
Barclay and arrogance (thoughtful)
Politicians, police, and the payout (Melanie Reid’s great work started it all)
From which we learn that –
• English knew for months about the hush-money paid from the leader’s budget.
• English knew for months that Todd Barclay was lying.
• English covered up Barclay’s lies and his (possibly illegal certainly unethical and bullying) behaviour – screwing his old electorate and former workers in the process.
• English supported Barclay’s re-nomination (now the subject of a separate crisis).
• English lied to the media yesterday.
• English was forced to admit the lie 4 hours later.
• English was not strong enough to get Barclay’s resignation yesterday.
Bill English has blown his brand big-time. It was always fake.