Bill English claims to have been unaware of the video footage, but the night before Nick Smith’s spokesperson said the government had been “advised”. It would have been extraordinary if they had not.
“I just want to go back to this first question. I asked you when you first knew about it. So, yes, you saw it for the first time last night, but have you known earlier that this footage existed?” Duncan Garner asked.
“Well, no,” Mr English replied.
Acting Minister of Conservation for Pike River Issues Nick Smith told Newshub on Sunday he hadn’t seen the footage either.
“No one from the Government has viewed this footage, though the Government has been advised it was used by Solid Energy as part of its extensive investigation into whether the mine was safe to enter,” Mr Smith’s spokesperson said.
Pike River families deserve the truth.
Mark Sainsbury: The Pike River video is a game changer
Accusations of cover-up swirl as footage shows men accompanying robot in Pike River Mine
Video: Inside the Pike River mine – what police never showed the families
but Nick Smith said last night the government knew about footage? #coverup
— Grant Robertson (@grantrobertson1) April 30, 2017