The winners and losers from National’s leadership spill
- Date published:
8:12 pm, November 25th, 2021 - 146 comments
Categories: Christopher Luxon, david seymour, jacinda ardern, Judith Collins, national, same old national, Shane Reti, Simon Bridges -
This is quite simple.
The winners are:
- Jacinda Ardern. Want a leader who is going to keep her cool during an emergency whether it be a terrorist attack or a pandemic? You can trust Jacinda to give her all to the job and not be distracted.
- The Labour Party. After a period of time about 7 years ago I know far too much about the Labour Party got its shit together and now its caucus and the party as a whole is united and determined to get on with the job.
- ACT. David Seymour looks more and more like the real leader of the opposition and I never thought I would say this. He is succeeding even though his caucus looks very brittle and one decent investigation away from a scandal.
- Shane Reti. While everyone around him has been losing their shit he has remained calm and focused on the job. I am sure they will not do it but from a leftie perspective he looks like their best option, although he would not beat Jacinda.
The losers are:
- Judith Collins. Karma is a bitch.
- Simon Bridges. Judith has done the damage. Now every time his name is mentioned as a potential leader people particularly women will question his judgment and how a good Christian could even think such things.
- The National Party. It’s stocks have never been lower and the prospects of it splitting into an urban liberal party and a rural country party must be pretty high.
- The National Party board. People are going to look at it and wonder how Judith could have come out and claimed support from the board for what she did.
- Nick Smith. He had his career trashed by Judith because he was perceived to be a threat.
- Todd Muller. He had his career trashed by Judith because he was perceived to be a threat.
- Chris Luxon. If he really wants to be the next Prime Minister he needs years to learn the job properly. And to put some space between his Christian fundamentalism and current events. This is too early for him.
The immediate questions are will Todd Muller be returned to Caucus and will Judith cause a by election.
Interesting times …