What we know this morning:
- 49 people have been killed and many more wounded.
- Three people are in custody and one will be charged with murder in court this morning.
- A fourth person arrested was a man in the Linwood mosque who disarmed the terrorist and chased him along Linwood Ave. He has since been released.
- PM Jacinda Ardern has confirmed our gun laws will change. The terrorist had 5 guns, including two semi automatic weapons. He has a valid NZ gun licence.
- The attack was live-streamed on Facebook and the video widely circulated. Facebook and other media outlets have been criticised for being slow to act to remove the content.
- The gunman is an Australian who has lived in NZ on and off. He has left a racist, anti-immigrant manifesto in which he praises mass murderer Anders Breivek and Trump supporter Candace Owens.
- Solidarity has been shown by world leaders, including the Queen, and Donald Trump, who as usual, showed a complete lack of self awareness, saying a few minutes ago that he didn’t think white supremacy was a rising problem.
- Australian Senator Fraser Anning has been condemned for blaming the attack on the Muslim community.
- Concerts around the country have been cancelled, as has the third cricket test against Bangladesh.
- Fundraising for the victims has begun. Over a million dollars has been raised.
I woke up this morning to many messages from friends and family overseas. This attack has shocked the world. One positive feature of the response is that solidarity has been shown from people of all faiths, which suggests the terrorists have instantly failed in their objective to split and divide us.
If you are like me, this morning you’re angry, tearful and confused about how to react. But I know this much; solidarity and aroha will always win.
And all you fascists are bound to lose.