Current Deputy Mayor of Wellington Justin Lester launched his campaign for the mayoralty yesterday, running on a Labour ticket:
Wellington mayoral candidate Justin Lester has launched his campaign promising first-home builders a $5000 rates rebate, and children free entry to council pools.
Lester also promised to scrap the fees businesses pay to have outdoor dining on public land, and to tackle the council’s “ingrained sexism” by having more senior female employees, if elected mayor in October.
Labour’s candidate for the Wellington mayoralty laid out his plan for the city in front of a few hundred people at the Wharewaka on Sunday, with his chosen deputy Paul Eagle at his side and party leader Andrew Little in the audience.
WHO IS JUSTIN LESTER?
* Lives in Johnsonville with wife Liz and their daughters Madeleine, 5, and Harriet, 3.
* Has a law degree from Otago University and a Master of Laws from Heidelberg University.
* Has an employment background in property and asset management, as well as commercial real estate.
* Co-founded and owns the Kapai chain of food stores.
* Board member of Wellington SPCA and former board member of Capital Football.
* First elected as a city councillor for the northern ward in 2010 and has been Wellington’s deputy mayor since 2013.