The Top 20 Biggest U.S. Military Interventions, Best to Worst
- Date published:
10:39 am, August 31st, 2021 - 76 comments
Categories: afghanistan, Africa, australian politics, China, class war, colonialism, defence, Disarmament, Europe, Iran, iraq, israel, Japan, Korea, Pacific, Palestine, Peace, Russia, Syria, uk politics, United Nations, us politics, war -
UN forces’ transport vehicles recrossing 38th Parallel as they withdraw from Pyongyang, North Korean capital, during Korean War. (Photo by Time Life Pictures/National Archives/The LIFE Picture Collection/Getty Images)
With the last flights coming out of Kabul, it’s time to review whether this US attitude to the world is a good idea.
Rules: major military use in country. Not counting CIA interventions.
- World War 2. 1939-1945 Instrumental in huge Allied win which saved much of the world.
- World War 1. 1914-1918 Instrumental in huge Allied win which saved much of Europe.
- Marshall Plan and Cold War Europe 1946-1989 Rebuilt many damaged countries, defended Europe from Soviet communist expansion
- American Revolutionary War 1775-1783 Independence from Britain enabling quick emergence of unique and powerful country with revolutionary democracy
- Korean War 1950-53 Stopped half of Korea turning communist
- Persian Gulf War 1990-91. Cleared Iraq out of Kuwait
- Bosnia 1995 Helped bring Serbs to negotiating table
- Thailand Communist Insurgency 1965-83 Stopped communist expansion
- American Civil War 1861-65 Reunited the country, stopped slavery. Crappy postwar settlement
- War of 1812 and Creek War. Britain and US largely settled. Defeat of Tecumseh’s native confederacy, massive native land thefts accelerate.
- Philippine-American War 1899-1902. Successfully stabilised the country, miserable huge loss of local lives.
- Iraq War 2003-11 Initial victory, total chaos afterwards, strengthened Iranian influence
- Beiruit 1982-84 Started off stabilising Israel’s mess, went downhill fast.
- Syria 2014-present ISIS defeated, then US backed the losing rebels. Syria now in proxy control by Turkey and Russia.
- Panama Invasion 1989 Mixed. Got rid of a tyrant but left near-ungovernable mess.
- Russian Civil War 1918-20 US-supported allies pantsed.
- Somalia 1992-93 Simply made it worse.
- Vietnam War 1961-73 Done like a dinner. Lots of meaningless death and war crimes.
- Yemeni Civil War 2015-present Millions of starving people and caused no good.
- Afghanistan 2001-21 Useful stabilisation first. Made 2020 pact with Islamofascist Taleban – led to fast and total unravelling. Over half a million locals dead. Tyranny installed.
Analysis of why they do it.