The Trump White House descends into chaos
- Date published:
8:29 am, May 12th, 2017 - 80 comments
Categories: Donald Trump, International, the praiseworthy and the pitiful, us politics, you couldn't make this shit up -
Watching the reign of Donald Trump as POTUS has been like watching a slow motion train wreck unfold before your eyes.
If you want to have a concise day by day blow by blow account then I recommend the website What the Fuck just happened today.
But it appears that things are getting worse. Over the past few days:
- Donald Trump has directly contradicted his own White House spin and said that he had already decided to terminate James Comey’s position.
- The Russians managed to get a camera into the White House and took photos of Trump and the Russian Ambassador in the Oval Room. I gather the security boffins are having kittens about this.
- Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe directly contradicted Trump’s claim that Comey had lost the confidence of rank-and-file FBI agents. This was reiterated by Thomas O’Connor, the president of the FBI Agents Association, who called Comey’s firing “a gut punch. We didn’t see it coming, and we don’t think Director Comey did anything that would lead to this”.
- Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to associates of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn seeking business records, as part of the ongoing probe of Russian meddling in last year’s election.
- And the Senate intelligence committee has subpoenaed Michael Flynn for documents regarding his interactions with Russian officials. Flynn’s attorneys had previously informed the panel they would not cooperate with the probe unless the former general was granted immunity. You have to wonder what he is worried about.
The feeling is strong that Russian involvement in last year’s election is going to result in charges. And the White House is in turmoil. How Trump responds to ongoing events is going to have a deep long term effect on America’s democracy.